The Garden Committee runs three annual events in the Garden – the Summer Party in late June, Fireworks Night (this year November 7th) and Christmas Carols (this year December 7th).
The Summer Party is to take place on Saturday 27th June. The main events of the day are:
- 12.00 – 6.00 – Bouncy Castles and soft play area
- 12.00 – 6.00 – Spider Mountain and Slide
- 12.00 – 6.00 – Face Painters and Spray Art Tattoos
- 12.00 – 6.00 – Inflatables -all ages
- 12.00 – 6.00 – Beach balls, Hover Disks and other Garden Games
- 3.00 – 5.00 – Pony Rides (only for ages 3 – 10)
- 3.00 – 7.00 – Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Pulled Pork and Beef Brisket sandwiches for sale
- 2.00 – 4.00 Ice Cream Van
- 6.00 – Barbecues will be lit – bring your own steaks and sausages
- 7.00 – 10.00 – Swing Band – The One Eyed Cats
For the pony rides we have 3 ponies coming between 3 and 5 pm. Because in past years we have had problems with people queueing for long periods, some ending up disappointed at the end, we moved to a timed ticket system last year, which proved successful so we are continuing with it. Tickets for the pony rides will be handed out at 10am on Saturday morning under the willow tree at the Clifton Gardens end of the garden. Because there will only be 70 tickets and we want as many kids as possible who live on the gardens to have a turn, they will be handed out to children only, one per child. They will be timed tickets so when the time on your child’s ticket arrives they will need to be down at the ponies with shoes on ready to ride. There will be no need to queue.
There won’t be a cake stall this year as Jan Stern will be away.
A couple of things to particularly point out from the schedule for those for whom this is their first Summer Party:
- Please don’t bring glasses or glass bottles into the garden. There will be lots of children running around with bare feet, so the potential for accidents is high. Plastic glasses only please.
- Please make sure you close the gates behind you when you come in, so that only residents and their guests attend the party.
- The Face Painters and Spray Tattoos are particularly popular and have long queues, as they are quite labour intensive. So we would recommend going early if you don’t want to spend a large portion of your day queuing with your child.
- The swing/jive band The One Eyed Cats are great fun. Take a look at their website here to see the treat you have in store for you. They will start at 7pm and play three 45 minute sets with a 15 minute break in between each set. There will also be a marquee to dance in should you wish to show off your moves, so make sure you bring your dancing shoes.
It’s always a great day. Feel free to invite your friends and pray for sunshine. You can check the BBC Weather forecast by clicking here.